I observe many users in online forums and chat rooms looking for suggestions on the “best” software for their business. They end up with up to ten different recommendations from ten different people, all saying their choice is the best. However, do they know their recommendation is best for you without knowing anything about you or how your business operates? Their suggestions could be made for selfish reasons, as they may be an employee of the company they’re recommending or getting a referral fee for their recommendation. Finding software can be very confusing because there are so many products claiming to be the best. So how do you choose? I’ve compiled a few tips when starting your search.
- Identify the problem you’re trying to solve- Make sure you have a clear idea of what problem you are trying to solve. You will have to make sure the solution you select can solve it.
- How will a new application fit into my current tech stack? Are they easily integrated? If you have other applications, how will another solution fit into your existing ecosystem? Will it integrate nicely, or will it require you to do manual work to keep things in sync? E.g. Will this new product update my accounting system?
- Know the software vendor – A company can have the best software in the world. Still, if they don’t offer the training and support you need, you might find yourself all alone when you run into any issues. How do you reach them when you need help? What are their hours of operation? How long does it take them to respond to customers?
- Is it customizable to your needs? What might be suitable for one business may not be the right fit for yours. Can you brand it? Can you add custom fields that you require? Can you change the name of the fields?
- How much are you willing to spend? There’s a ton of software out there, and you get what you pay for. Have a budget in mind for what you want to spend. It’s an excellent time to assess what you are paying for other software. Buying piecemeal solutions can add up. You might want to look at solutions that can handle multiple requirements.
- If you are stuck, ask the help of a professional. At DJS DIGITAL, we specialize in software selection. We offer free 30-minute consultations that can help point you in the right direction. Contact us today if you need help.